Protect Your Legal Rights After a Virginia Car Accident Internal Injury
Visiting a doctor immediately after the crash isn’t just to find possible internal injuries, but also to begin the process of establishing liability for the accident. You need a paper trail showing what kind of injury you sustained and when it occurred so you can seek compensation from the at-fault party’s whose negligent behavior caused the crash.
You wouldn’t have suffered these injuries if it wasn’t for that negligence, which is why you should retain an attorney to probe the cause of the accident. Your legal counsel can analyze the available evidence to determine your best source of compensation. In some cases, that will clearly be the other driver who is at fault, but it could also be a negligent trucking company or someone else who is ultimately responsible for the injury.
An attorney additionally protects you by helping to deal with common insurance tactics for avoiding paying out a claim, or by filing a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent party. Damages in crashes with internal injuries can be extensive and potentially include:
- Medical costs for surgeries, medications, hospital stays, at-home care, etc.
- Missed wages for time away from work while recovering from internal injuries
- Future earning potential if the internal injury interferes with your ability to earn a living
- Pain and suffering, as well as other non-economic damages for lost quality of life
- Funeral expenses in cases of wrongful death