No matter how careful you are on the road, you may eventually experience an accident of some kind. More serious collisions often involve major medical expenses and long periods of recovery away from work. Because car crashes are frequently traumatic and disorienting, it's important to know what to do ahead of time and be aware of when to call a lawyer.
Protect Your Legal Rights To Receive Compensation
Car accident victims have the legal right to receive compensation after a negligent driver causes a collision. In some cases, that may come through an insurance settlement. In others, you may need to file a lawsuit to recover the full damages you deserve.
No matter which route you end up pursuing, always take these six steps after an accident:
- Gather evidence at the scene of the accident if you aren’t immediately taken to the emergency room. Photograph the scene and the vehicles to preserve critical evidence of what occurred.
- Contact the police. They can begin their investigation and you can use this information for your claim.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Starting a paper trail early helps document the extent of your injuries, as well as gauge what medical costs might be required in the future.
- Contact your insurance company, but be aware of what not to say. Don’t agree to a recorded statement, and avoid discussing your injuries with the adjuster, who may take your words out of context to reduce your payout. Instead, only provide the basic facts of the accident and let your attorney handle any other communication.
- Gather and keep records. A variety of evidence sources may be needed to prove negligence and show your costs, from police accident reports to medical records, truck driver work logs, and so on.
- Call an experienced car accident lawyer. No matter the extent of your injuries, always get an attorney’s help after a vehicle collision. Besides helping you avoid insurance tactics to reduce your settlement, an attorney is critical if you need to file a lawsuit against the negligent party.
If You Were Hurt in a Car Crash, You Need Legal Representation
The recovery process after a serious collision is more than just physical healing. You also need to consider the monetary side of the equation before you end up saddled with huge medical debt while unable to pay your normal bills. If you’ve been in any kind of car crash in Virginia, contact our experienced legal team to schedule a consultation.