Any kind of vehicle accident, from a head-on collision on the highway to a T-bone on a Richmond city street, can lead to long-term repercussions. Broken bones and ongoing pain are common, but many kinds of collisions can result in more severe wounds like brain and spinal cord injuries.
After any kind of car, truck, or bus accident, you should always call an attorney after seeking medical attention. If the accident had any sort of impact on your life, from requiring medical treatment to missing school or work, a personal injury lawyer can help you prove negligence and recover compensation.
Types of Accidents The Mottley Law Firm Handles
When dealing with the aftermath of a car crash, you want an experienced legal team with a history of positive outcomes backing you up. The Mottley Law Firm may be able to help negotiate with insurance or take the at-fault party to court if you experienced any of these types of vehicle accidents:
- App-based rideshare service accidents (Uber, Lyft, etc.)
- Bicyclist hit by a car, truck, or bus
- Jackknife accidents when a truck and trailer move in opposite directions and cause collisions
- Head-on car crash
- Hit-and-run when the at-fault driver flees the scene
- Multiple vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian struck by a vehicle
- Rear-end car collision
- Rollover accident when a vehicle physically flips over
- T-bone crash when a vehicle hits the side of your car
- Train derailment or collision
- Truck or tractor-trailer accidents
How an Attorney Helps During Your Recovery
Each of these different types of accidents brings its own unique legal challenges. For instance, in a multi-vehicle collision, the negligent driver may have hit someone else who then hit your car. Or, in truck accident cases, it may make more sense to pursue legal action against the trucking company rather than the actual truck driver.
You shouldn’t have to worry about that side of the equation while focusing on your physical recovery, however. That’s where an attorney comes in to perform a thorough investigation into the crash to show negligence on the part of the at-fault party and provide compelling arguments that your injuries were directly caused by the accident.
Your lawyer may need to contact eyewitnesses, analyze photographs and physical evidence, gather details from a cargo truck’s black box, access employment records, and take other routes to determine if the accident was caused by:
- Distracted driving behaviors like texting, applying makeup, inputting GPS coordinates, smoking, talking on the phone, etc.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failing to yield at stop signs, traffic lights, and intersections
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Improperly maintained or improperly loaded cargo trucks
- Negligent hiring, training, and disciplinary practices from trucking companies
- Speeding and other unsafe driving behaviors
- Traveling the wrong direction on a one-way street
Many car crash victims don’t realize a lawyer is necessary even if you are solely seeking a claim through insurance instead of initiating a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. The advice of a skilled personal injury lawyer is crucial to avoiding common mistakes that can cost you by reducing your settlement or even seeing it denied altogether. Whether through an insurance claim or a court judgment, an attorney can help you recover full and fair damages for:
- Initial costs like an ER visit or hospital stay after the accident
- Future medical costs if you will require ongoing therapy or additional surgeries stemming from the injury
- Out-of-pocket costs for expenses that aren’t covered while seeking treatment
- Emotional damage, pain and suffering, and other intangible effects like post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, or depression directly connected to the crash
- Reduced quality of life in the event of serious accidents with extreme injuries like loss of limbs or permanent disfigurement
- Wages lost when you can't work during your recovery, as well as future economic damages if the injury reduces your earning capacity
Let Us Take Care of the Legal Issues for You
Car crashes are often life-altering events, but we can help you deal with these new challenges brought on by your injuries. Tell us the basic details of your case so we can get in touch for a consultation to find out more.