Why You Need an Attorney After a Truck Accident
Because of the size of the vehicles involved, truck accidents tend to result in more serious injuries with higher medical costs and longer periods where you can’t work. An experienced Richmond personal injury attorney can help you get back on your feet by seeking compensation from the at-fault parties.
A personal injury attorney negotiates with your insurance carrier, the insurance company representing the at-fault driver, and the trucking company itself. That’s where an attorney is critical, as it may not just be the driver who is responsible for your accident.
By gathering evidence about the crash, an attorney may determine the trucking company owes you compensation due to negligence by:
- Scheduling drivers without adequate rest breaks
- Failing to train employees on driving limits and sleep schedules
- Not enforcing hour of service rules or punishing logbook violations
- Negligence in hiring drivers with medical conditions that cause drowsiness while driving
- Retaining drivers who don’t seek treatment for conditions like severe sleep apnea