Aging is a fact of life, and it comes with changes to how we go about our daily routine. Unfortunately, those changes can make normal activities like driving riskier for others on the road. Here’s what you need to know if you were injured in a crash with a senior citizen and you are dealing with medical bills and loss of work.
Risks Associated With Elderly Drivers
Drivers of any age can engage in distracted or reckless behaviors that cause collisions. Senior citizens may deal with physical and mental health issues that can further contribute to an accident, however. That’s one reason why Virginia legally requires drivers age 75 and older to renew their license in person every five years. Decreased mental alertness and physical ability may lead to:
- Confusion when navigating streets
- Difficulty merging or yielding the right of way
- Improperly judging distances and times when turning before oncoming traffic
- Reduced reaction speed
- Swerving between lanes
- Visual issues like missing stop signs or trouble driving at night
Just because the other driver is elderly doesn’t immediately mean they will be found at fault for the accident, however. Regardless of age, any licensed driver still has a right to be on Richmond streets.
To receive compensation for your injuries, you need an attorney to perform a comprehensive investigation and prove that negligence was directly responsible for your injury. Here’s what to do if you’ve been hurt in an accident caused by an elderly driver:
- Ensure you, your passengers, and the other driver are all safe.
- Call 911 to contact law enforcement and make sure everyone gets medical attention. Elderly drivers in particular are susceptible to fractures and traumatic brain injuries.
- Photograph the scene, if possible, and gather contact information for any bystanders who witnessed the collision.
- Contact an attorney as soon as possible after being checked out by medical professionals.
- Follow your attorney’s advice on interacting with the insurance company and utilizing social media for the best chance at getting the full compensation you deserve
Were You Injured in a Crash Caused by an Elderly Driver?
If you are dealing with serious injuries after an accident on any Virginia street or highway, you have a legal right to recover damages for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Call and set up a consultation to find out the next steps to take in your journey towards recovery.