It only takes an instant for an afternoon of fun in the sun to turn into a medical emergency that can change your child’s life forever. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can easily occur in accidents at the local city waterpark or at a friend’s personal backyard pool. Because children’s brains are still developing, they are at increased risk of serious, long-term repercussions when suffering a traumatic brain injury.
Causes of Child TBIs in Swimming Pool Accidents
Teens and younger children may experience a traumatic brain injury from directly striking their head against the bottom or side of the pool, or from a prolonged lack of oxygen reaching the brain during a drowning incident.
In these cases, you need a skilled TBI lawyer who specializes in brain injury cases to investigate the accident and discover the root cause of the injury. Your child’s TBI may have been caused by negligence from the pool owner, such as:
- Absence of barriers to prevent children from entering the pool unattended
- Failing to utilize proper drains and drain covers in compliance with state law
- Improper maintenance of diving boards, ladders, and areas around the pool creating slip and fall hazards
- Lack of proper warning about shallow areas, such as “no diving” signs or clear markings indicating the pool depth
- No lifeguard on duty to watch for accidents and injuries