Why You Need to Speak With a TBI Attorney After an Open Head Injury
Simply attending doctor appointments and trying to return to work is often more than an open head wound victim can handle. You will likely require help developing a support system from friends and loved ones to acclimate to a new normal after an open head injury.
Unfortunately, those aren’t the only difficulties you can expect after the accident. Victims often aren’t prepared for the devastating cost of medical bills when dealing with any kind of skull fracture or traumatic brain injury. Multiple surgeries over an extended period of time are a strong possibility, as well as the need for long-term therapy to deal with the physical, behavioral, and cognitive changes that can result from an open head injury.
Your number one concern should be your physical and emotional health, which is why you should allow an attorney to handle the financial side of your recovery. A lawyer helps by protecting your legal rights and investigating the accident to find out if your injury was caused by negligence.
After the negligent party is identified, an attorney assists in getting you back on your feet by negotiating with the insurance company and potentially filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver, negligent property owner, store manager, etc. With an attorney’s help, you can seek compensation covering:
- Bills for the extensive medical care needed after an open head injury
- Future costs if you require additional therapies or surgeries down the line
- Funeral expenses if a loved one died because of the accident
- Non-economic damages covering the pain, suffering, and reduced quality of life caused by an open head injury
- Wages for the time you can’t work, as well as lost earning potential in the future