Traumatic brain injury (TBI) victims often have to deal with extensive medical bills while recovering. You deserve to recover damages after suffering a TBI, but the amount offered by an insurance company may not reflect your actual costs. That’s why it’s important to have a skilled personal injury attorney who is on your side and wants to help your financial recovery.
Key Factors in the Value of Your Brain Injury Settlement
In many cases, the first settlement offer won’t actually be the full amount you deserve. Unfortunately, insurance carriers typically want to pay you as little as possible. To get a reasonable settlement, you need an attorney to handle the negotiations and accurately value the damages you can recover, which could include:
- Previous medical costs covering your hospitalization and treatments after the injury
- Additional medical costs you are likely to incur in the future, such as surgeries or long-term therapies and rehabilitation
- Out-of-pocket costs while seeking treatment for your injury
- Lost wages if you couldn’t go back to work, as well as a loss of earning potential if you were passed over for a promotion or need to find a different line of work after the accident
- Non-economic damages that have an impact on your daily life, such as pain and suffering, PTSD, permanent disfigurement, cognitive impairment caused by the brain injury, and so on
After reaching a number, your attorney can help you decide if the settlement offer is fair by comparing it to the potential value of litigation against the at-fault party while keeping in mind the potential risks and mitigating factors that may interfere with a court case.
Talk to an Attorney Before Accepting Any Settlement
Wondering what to do next and not sure how to proceed with insurance or a lawsuit? Always consult a traumatic brain injury attorney before accepting anything from the insurance carrier. Set up a free consultation so we can learn about your injury and find out if The Mottley Law Firm is the right fit for your case.